Friday, March 02, 2012

Fiction vs Non Fiction













I've been thinking about writing a non fiction project and I actually started working on a new book at the beginning of the year. There are a few reasons I've been considering changing my focus.

One reason is burn out. I've been writing erotic romance for a few years now. My first short story was published in 2006. A lot has changed since then in publishing. Kindles and Nooks have taken off. Self publishing is the new craze and anyone can have a book on Amazon by tomorrow. The competition, quite frankly, is fierce. Unless you have some idea that is off the hook out there that no one else has done, you'll just get swept away in sea of books available. Plain old erotic fiction has become very mainstream nowdays, when before it was not the norm. Times how they change.

Another reason is school. Last semester I took a creative non fiction writing class and it was fantastic. I've never tried writing any type of non fiction before (unless you count diaries throughout my lifetime) and I found a knack for it. In fact, I even had an article published in The Chronicle, the Columbia College award winning school paper. I thought to myself that maybe there's something there...

So, I have two projects that are erotic fiction I will continue to work on. I have two BDSM themed projects I will work on as well, although they will most likely be published under a different name. My cousin and I have a series we're working on with book one completed. And lastly will be my non fiction project. (Also possibly to be published under another name). A little overwhelming? Kind of. But that's typical in the life of a writer. Multiple projects, different pen names and a general feeling of chaos all over the place. Welcome to the life of a writer.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, You Go Girl!

We will still love whatever you choose to write.

CPD man

Annmarie Ortega said...

Well thanks. I appreciate that.

Mr. SouthSide said...

You could write about you and I at your senior prom at Maria. Remembeer how I stepped on your feet constantly? Remember the back seat of my Pinto?


What do you think? Romantic comedy or pure satire?

Anonymous said...

erotic spankings, now thats something i can get my teeth into ANNIE BABY.

Anonymous said...

Don't call her Annie. I found out the hard way.