Monday, June 20, 2011

Book Review: On the Job: Behind the Stars of the Chgo Police Dept.

On the Job: Behind the Stars of the Chicago Police DepartmentOn the Job: Behind the Stars of the Chicago Police Department by Daniel P. Smith

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


First of all let me say I really wanted to like this book. My dad who is retired CPD got this for me because he met the author somewhere. Now let me explain that my dad LOVES all things CPD. He started in 1967 and retired a few years ago. He knows I love police stuff... probably because I grew up around it my whole life. So he gave me this book without reading it himself first.

But this book. Goodness. The author is NOT on the CPD. He never was, although he had two uncles, brother, father, and brother in law who were. I think the thing that bothered me the most was on the second page where he explains that because he had relatives who were CPD indirectly he was too. Wait. What? So does that mean because my dad was I'm one too? Maybe I'm being overly critical but that logic didn't work for me. There's also a chapter called "Who Are We?" We? How about "Who Are They?" because you aren't a CPD dude. From what I read you don't even live in the city. (Which is a residency requirement to be on the department.)

It wasn't all bad...

The history of the CPD was interesting and so were some of the photos. I liked a few of the police officers stories that they told. (And btw I was taught calling police "coppers" was not polite and to say "police officer". The term "copper" was all over this thing. Equivalant of nails on a chalk board for me.)

At least I can honestly tell my dad I read the book when he asks me.
View all my reviews

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

give me a spanking and i will behave mistress.

Anonymous said...

raise the White Flag and Surrender, your Blog is Toast.

Annmarie Ortega said...

And your grasp of proper capitolization is unforgivable.